Saturday, July 15, 2017

Empennage, Aft Fuselage (Part 14)

Lots of progress today.  I started today's session with Alumiprep, Alodine, and Priming.  As seen in previous videos, I dipped the parts small enough to fit in the plastic bins and brushed the larger parts.  After drying for a few hours, I started priming the parts.  In the picture below, you can see all the parts handing up to dry.



Here is the first batch of parts to get primed.  Pictured below (left to right) are the F-01410C Horizontal Stab Attach Bars, F-01410A Bulkhead, F-01410 Bulkhead, F-01412A Bulkhead, F-01410B Bulkhead Doublers, F-14115 Rudder Cable Bracket, F-01412B Bulkhead, and F-01473A Angle Stiffeners (x2). 

The second batch of priming included the F-1037B & C Battery Angles, F-01429-L & -R Bellcrank Ribs, and F-14131 Upper Aft Fuselage Rib.


The last batch included the F-01406B Bulkhead and F-01409 Frame.

As I previously mentioned, I received the replacement F-01412A & B Bulkheads from Van's.  These two pieces got primed in the first batch today.  After the primer dried, I installed the AN426AD4-4 rivets as called out in the plans.  The first picture below shows the aft side of the joined Bulkheads and the second shows the forward side......AND correct this time!!!!!


Next, I clecoed and riveted this assembly below.  This Bulkhead assembly will be the forward attach point for the Horizontal Stabilizer.  I installed the nine AN470AD4-8 universal rivets on each Horizontal Stab Attach Bars using the pneumatic squeezer.  The five small AN470AD3-3.5 were installed with the hand squeezer.  I still need to install 34 AN470AD3 universal rivets; however, I will need to order a 3/32 (#3) squeezer cup set.  I have a 1/8 (#4) squeezer cup set, but it is too big for the rivet head of a #3 and will leave smilies.  I'll have the new #3 squeezer set in a few days and will install the remaining rivets.  

Each Battery Angle below has four K-1000-08 and one K1000-3 nutplates.  This picture shows the upper and lower sides of the Battery Angles with the five nutplates installed.  

Lastly, the Battery Angles were attached to the F-01429-L & -R Bellcrank Ribs using AN470AD4-4 universal rivets.  This picture shows upper and lower angles of the finished product.