Monday, July 3, 2017

Empennage, Aft Fuselage (Part 4)

Tonight, I fabricated the left and right Rudder Stops.  The F-14113-R and -L Stops had to be separated from one piece of aluminum angle.  The first picture shows the actual angle that I will use to fabricate the Stops.  The second picture is the excerpt from the plans that illustrates what the Stops should look like after completion. 


First, I used my bandsaw to cut the angle into two pieces down the centerline.


Next, the shape of the Rudder Stops had to be cut from each piece of angle.  Here is an excerpt from the plans that illistrates the measurements used to mark each of the pieces.  Then, I used the bandsaw again to cut the aluminum as marked.

After cutting, filing, and sanding the pieces, here are two different views of the completed left and right Rudder Stops.  The last step is to machine countersink the four holes on each Stop for the head of an AN426AD4 rivet.