Sunday, July 30, 2017

Empennage, Aft Fuselage (Part 25)

I disassembled the Aft Fuselage section I assembled yesterday.  Like I previously posted, I wanted to get a visual of the pieces assembled together.  Today, I started work on the F-01475 Top Skin.  I started by completing the Alumiprep and Alodine work.  After waiting for the Skin to dry, I applied the Akzo Epoxy Primer.  Here is the Top Skin after the primer dried.  

I mixed up enough Akzo to also prime the U-00018 Tail Spring Mount.  Here is the Tail Spring after the primer dried. 

As I have done with all of the other sections, I like to prime the rivet lines on the outsides of the Skin.  Here is a shot of the F-01478 Bottom Skin after I primed the rivet lines. 

There are four pieces that make up the Top Skin assembly.....The Top Skin, J-Stiffener, Upper Aft Fuse Rib, and the Skin Doubler.  In the picture below, all four pieces are riveted together.  I used the 3.5" Back Rivet Set for the rivets on the J-Stiffener, but due to clearance issues on the Fuse Rib, I had to use the 12" Set.


I did notice one "issue", if you want to call it that.  The plans call for all 51 of the rivets to be AN426AD3-3.5 flush rivets.  When I inserted the rivet into the one of the five holes circled below, it looked to short.  I used a guage to confirm my belief, so I used 3-4 rivets for these five holes.