Sunday, July 15, 2018

Wings, Fuel Tanks (Part 10)

This session was actually completed yesterday, Saturday.  However, I wasn’t fast enough to get the entry submitted before midnight.  So......

As I’ve mentioned in a couple of my posts, I will not PRIME the inside of the Fuel Tanks.  Many builders don’t recommend it and neither does Van’s.  However, I will Aluiprep and Alodine the parts and pieces that make up the tank (including the internal pieces).  I’ve shown my setup before, but here is how I treat most of the parts and pieces.  They get submerged in the Alumiprep (far right), distilled water rinse (middle), submerged in Alodine (far left), distilled water rinse, and hung up to dry on the clothesline.  I’ve found this process to be easy and quick.  you can see one of the interior tanks ribs in the Alumiprep and one in the Alodine.

As I’ve used several times times in the past, I will use my “clothesline” technique for drying all the parts and pieces.  It is safety wire run between two old department store clothes racks.  The blue painters tape are labels for each specific rib (left or right Tank, 1 - 6).....left side of the rack for Left Fuel Tank and right side for the Right Fuel Tank.

Here is the same picture, but with all the parts hanging up to dry.  With the exception of the Fuel Tank Skins, the long T-00003 Tank J-Stiffener, and the Tank Attach Zees, all the parts that make up both Fuel Tanks are hanging here.