Saturday, July 7, 2018

Wings, Fuel Tanks (Part 9)

The #40 holes in the T-00006-L & -R Tank Attach Brackets had to be countersunk to accept the dimples in the Fuel Tank Skins or the T-1005B and T-1005C Shims (depending on the location of the holes).  Because the Flanges of the Brackets are not 90% and at a slight angle, it was difficult to make the countersinks with the Bracket “square”.  So, as shown below, I clamped several scrap pieces of 2x6 and 2x4 to my work bench.  This created the proper height for the Flange to rest “squarely” on the wood.  This made a very solid and stable platform to make the countersinks. 

Here are the two Tank Attach Brackets after the #40 holes were countersunk.  To get the proper depth on the countersinks, I dimpled a piece of scrap .032 aluminum and used it as a gauge.....worked pretty well I think.

Lastly during his session, I deburred all the holes and cleaned the edges of the two Rear Tank Baffles.