Friday, July 27, 2018

Wings, Fuel Tanks (Part 19)

Today’s session was spent working on the Left T-00007B Fuel Cap Flange and T-00005B-L Vent Line Clip.  I’ve circled them in the plans excerpt below.  

The plans called for the bottom three holes to receive AN426AD3-4.5 rivets and the remaining seven holes to receive AN426AD3-5 rivets.  Of those seven rivets, I felt the 3-5 rivets would be to long and I was worried about “tipping” the rivet when I set it.  So, I also used 3-4.5 rivets is the top three holes as well.  The photo below shows the lengths of each of the rivets I used to install the Fuel Cap Flange.  (I will also use the same lengths on the Right Fuel Tank).

Here is what the backside (or inside the Fuel Tank) looks like prior to setting the 10 rivets.  In this picture, you can see the Vent Line Clip on the bottom most rivet.  I doubled checked the proper orientation for this Clip at least 10 times.

Using an acid brush, I applied Proseal to the Flange and to the Tank Skin, set it in place, and back riveted the 10 rivets.  Once that was complete, I applied Proseal to the backside of the Flange as shown below.  I know, I got a little excited with the Proseal, but I DO NOT want the Tanks to leak.  

I used MEK to clean up the Proseal from the top of the Tank Skin.....here is what it looks like.  I think it turned out great!

With the Fuel Cap installed.