Saturday, July 21, 2018

Wings, Fuel Tanks (Part 14)

Up until this point, I have been preparing the Left and Right Fuel Tanks together at the same time.  Now that it’s time to put pieces together using Proseal, I have decided to assemble the Tanks one at a time.  I think I would feel better (and hopefully get a better result) if I just assemble one Tank from start to finish.  Since the Left side parts, assemblies, and installations are used in the plans, it makes sense to start with the Left Tank.
HERE WE GO!!!!!

I’m using the Flamemaster brand that seems to be popular and common among builders.  However, I used a local vendor and did not purchase mine through Van’s.  Part A is in the yellow can (sealing compound) and Part B is in the smaller container on top (accelerator).  The two parts are mixed at a ratio of 10:1.  The tubes come with the proper mix ratio already figured out.  The user just has to mix the compound and accelerator (in the container).  Once that is complete, you can use the tubs like caulking.  Very easy and no clean up.  


Here are my supplies......popsicle sticks, acid brushes, LOTS of gloves (I have boxes of them), a scale, and an aluminum mixing plate.

Below is my very first attempt at using Proseal.....ever!  I suspect this might be a little heavy on the application, but I don’t want any leaks.  This is the internal side of the T-1003B-L Tank Inboard Rib.  To attach the two VA-141 Fuel Flanges, I first used an acid brush to apply Proseal on the underside of the Flanges and on the Rib itself.  I then pressed the Flanges into position, clecoed the corresponding holes, and used my pneumatic squeezer to wet set the 10 AN470AD4-5.  After the rivets were set, I used the same acid brush to coat the shophead side of the rivets with Proseal.     

Here is the opposite side of the Rib showing the Proseal on the manufactured heads of the rivets.