Friday, February 23, 2024

Panel Installation (Part 12) - JVL Aviation’s Electrical Power Bracket

The work and picture from this post is from January 7, 2024.

Back in Part 7, I discussed the decisions I made to get my electrical system “designed” and how/where I was going to mount all the parts and pieces.  Those decisions lead to the fabrication of the “JVL Aviation’s Electrical Power Bracket”, the location on the airplane the bracket was going to be mounted and what was going to be mounted on it.  Now, with all of those decisions and work completed, I needed to figure out how the actual electricity was going to flow between all the parts.  So, after LOTS of guidance and recommendations from Andre at Aerotronics, I drew this very simple schematic of how it was going to work on my plane:

Most of the drawing is pretty self explanatory (to me anyway), but I will explain some of my chicken scratch.  For example, on the top left (primary alternator):

B-lead main (alternator)
1/4:  size of the terminal on the alternator
#8:  gauge of the wire between the main alternator and the left post on the top ANL limiter
5/16:  size of the terminal on the left post on the top ANL limiter

On the bottom left (standby alternator):

B-lead standby (alternator)
1/4:  size of the terminal on the alternator
#10:  gauge of the wire between the standby alternator and the left post on the bottom ANL limiter
5/16:  size of the terminal on the left post on the bottom ANL limiter

The remainder of the drawing lays out the sizes of the terminals and gauges of the wires in the same fashion.  The professional wiring schematics I got from Aerotronics with my panel, also shows a 1A circuit breaker for each of the posts on the shunt (also shown in my drawing).  In a later post, I will show my solution for accomplishing that requirement.

I mentioned at the top of this post about the guidance and suggestions I got from Andre at Aerotronics.  I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…..Jason and Andre have been a wealth of information and knowledge…..I can’t recommend their services enough.  I literally spent hours on the phone with Andre (over many separate phone calls) asking his advice and getting direction on best and safe practices.  They are some great dudes!

*****DISCLAIMER*****

The electrical schematic and system shown on this post, and in my entire blog, are my own design and applies only to my airplane.  If this information helps you, great.  But, please do your own research and seek guidance from professionals when designing the electrical system for your own airplane.