Sunday, February 11, 2024

Panel Installation (Part 5)

The work and pictures from this post are from July 1, 2022.

Here’s the Circuit Breaker Panel that Aerotronics built for our panel.  Although it will be a little while before it’s final installed, I wanted to temporarily mount it in the plane to check the fit and clearances.  I especially want to do this since we will be using the angled sub panel mount for the breaker panel.

Here’s the back with all the associated wiring.  Aerotronics (Jason) did an amazing job on this panel!  I couldn’t be more happy with his work!  Like I said before, if I ever build another plane, I will definitely use Aerotronics again for the panel…..100%!


Here is generally what it will look like in the plane.

Ummmm, something is not right here!  Good thing I decided to check the clearances!  The bottom row of circuit breakers are making contact with the F-01452 Aft Tunnel Cover.  The breakers are sticking down so far that it is preventing the entire assembly from sitting flush on the tunnel cover.  I suspect there would be a fireworks show if this thing had power right now!  

This picture shows just how far the breakers actually stick down below the assembly…..that is substantial.  Let’s investigate what is going on here.

To start, I ordered a new F-14188A Sub Panel Mount from Van’s.  It arrived and looked like this…..I immediately know what the problem was.

The old mount is on the left and the new mount is on the right!  I guess the original one shipped in my kit was punched incorrectly??  That will definitely make a difference and fix the clearance problems.

I prepared the new mount and discarded the old one.  I don’t have a picture of the clearance with the new mount, but there weren’t any issues this time around.  Problem solved…..moving on!