Thursday, February 29, 2024

Panel Installation (Part 15) - JVL Aviation’s Transponder/Comm Bracket

In the “Initial Panel Design” section (under Modifications and Upgrades), I talked about wanting to have a clean panel and one that didn’t look “busy”.  So, to accomplish that goal, I decided to get the GTR20 Remote Comm Radio for Comm 2 and the GTX45R Transponder (ADSB In & Out).  Both of these units are designed by Garmin to integrate with the G3X system and both are remote systems.  Now, with the decision made to use these two remote mounted avionics…..WHERE DO I INSTALL THEM?

I initially thought about making some kinda plate or bracket and installing them in the tail section just behind the baggage bulkhead (shown below in the white circle).  I decided not to do that because of the distance from the panel.  I would have had to make (or have Aerotronics make) new harnesses to cover that distance.  Not the biggest deal in the world, but I didn’t want to do that.  Also, when Jason made the panel, he also included the harnesses for the GTR20 and GTX45R….already wired up and ready to go (just had to plug them into the back of each of those boxes).  Seemed like the easiest and most logical way to do it.

So, after some figuring, I decided to install them on the copilot side, in the “glove box” opening in the sub panel to the F-01401D Firewall Angle.  The next several posts will show what I came up with and how I made the bracket.