Sunday, February 11, 2024

Panel Installation (Part 6)

The work and pictures from this post are from July 2, 2022.

The Garmin GEA 24 Engine Indication System (EIS) is one of the items that we would be required to mount somewhere on the plane.  When the panel was built by Aerotronics, there was no reasonable location to “pre-mount” it on the panel.  Besides, there are plenty of better options to mount it somewhere else in the plane.


We decided to mount it on the subpanel on the co-pilot side near the “glove box” opening.  I ended up sliding it all the way to the left so it was flush with the flange of the instrument panel standoff.  I did this because it gave me a place to index the unit so it would be “square” to the plane and level.  I could then raise it up or down to get the exact mounting location on the subpanel and still have the index on the flange for a square install.

I initially tried to mount it by NOT doing this (the two blue circles next to the right edge of the unit).  In the end, it wouldn’t have been difficult.  Find the top right mounting hole location, install a temporary bolt/screw, use a level to get “square” to the plane, install the top left bolt/screw and then the bottom two.  For some reason, I didn’t like this…..I don’t know why?  There is one unintended consequence of doing that…..I didn’t notice until after it was installed.  The GEA 24 is awfully close to the F-01477-R Connector Bracket on the side of the panel standoff.  The molex connector just fits in the mounting hole, so I guess I lucked out.





In the three pictures above, I have the GEA 24 mounted to the sub panel with screws.  I will most likely switch those out for bolts…..just my preference.