Saturday, June 12, 2021

Finishing, Tail Dragger Landing Gear and Engine Mount (Part 1)



Section 40A, Tricycle Landing Gear and Engine Mount obviously covers the installation of the Landing Gear and Engine Mount on the tricycle RV-14A.  So, we will not be using this section for our tail dragger version RV-14.

The two pictures below are the U-01418 INDB Wheel Fairing Brackets.  I had these parts for about three weeks before they started showing signs of corrosion.  So, I needed to remedy that problem.  The Bracket on the left shows the beginning of the corrosion I found and the Bracket(s) and the one on the right shows it after I cleaned it up.  I used my Angle Grinder and 2” Fiber Discs to remove the corrosion.

Here are both Brackets after being cleaned of all corrosion.  I also countersunk the four nutplate attach holes on each Bracket.  You can see the eight holes below on the Bracket flanges.